1st INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON CORDILLERA STUDIES
The University of the Philippines Baguio (UPB), through its Cordillera Studies Center (CSC), will hold the 1st International Conference on Cordillera Studies on 7-9 February 2008 in Baguio City, Philippines.
Held in conjunction with the celebration of the Centennial of the Philippines' premier university, the conference will address the general theme of "Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities in Transition." The theme is meant to direct attention to significant transformations in the Cordillera region of Northern Luzon, Philippines where contemporary forces of change (such as globalization, electronic technology, and migration) are profoundly altering the lives of the indigenous peoples often given the collective designation of Igorot.
The over-all objective of the conference is to present different perspectives and approaches in the study of indigenous society and culture, and to provide directions for future research on issues that concern the peoples of the Northern Luzon Cordillera.
Among the topics to be covered by the conference are:
- Approaches to indigenous studies
- Identity and representation
- Material culture and oral traditions
- Cultural heritage
- Natural resource management
- Migration and indigenous peoples
- Urbanization in upland communities
- Women, gender, and culture
- Governance and public policy
- Indigenous knowledge systems and practices
- Institutions and economic development
- Issues in health and education
- Information and communication technology and indigenous communities
- Social and political movements
Some 140 papers have been organized into 42 panels addressing these themes.
For inquiries and assistance, write or call:
THE CONFERENCE SECRETARIAT
1st International Conference on Cordillera Studies
Cordillera Studies Center
University of the Philippines Baguio
2600 Baguio City, Philippines
E-mail: email@example.com, cordillerastudies@g
♥posted with permission, lifted from CSC website - http://www.upb.edu.ph/~csc/events.html#call%20for%20papers