18 August 2008. The municipality of Lubuagan, Kalinga Province, celebrates its 100 years as a municipal unit in a three-day festival dubbed as Lumin-awa (lit., "to be of sound physical and/or spiritual state"). It will be recalled that in 1908 today, Act 1870 of the Philippine Commission carved the old Mountain Province out of northern Luzon with the following sub-provinces: Benguet, Ifugao, Bontoc, Kalinga and Apayao as sub-provinces. Kalinga was split into five municipal units -- Balbalan, Liwan, Lubuagan, Pinukpuk, and Tinglayan [see history of Kalinga here].
Walter "Sapao" Hale was made the first lieutenant governor of Kalinga as part of the "pacification campaign" of the colonial regime. He initially established his headquarters in Tabuk, but was later forced to move his seat of government to Lubuagan as malaria in the Tabuk valley threatened to decimate his party.
Emilio Aguinaldo, president of the first Philippine Republic, also briefly made this municipality his seat of government after the death of Gen. Gregorio del Pilar, the hero of Tirad Pass (the "Thermopylae of the Philippines").
Related Article: The Aguinaldo Centennial March