Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Wisdom from Africa (III)


A man who pays respect to the great paves the way for his own greatness. [19]


Looking at the king’s mouth, one would think he never sucked at his mother’s breast. [26]


A child’s fingers are not scalded by a piece of hot yam which its mother puts into its palm. [67]


Why should a man suffer so grievously for an offense he had committed inadvertently? [125]


Living fire begets cold, impotent ash. [153]


A toad does not run in the daytime for nothing...Whenever you see a toad jumping in broad daylight, then know that something is after its life. [20, 203]



- Achebe, Chinua. 1994. Things Fall Apart. New York: Anchor Books.

2 comments:

studentwhoisalwayslate said...

My comment is not on Achebe's novel. It's more on the teacher who imparted the wonderful message of the novel, and even became more wonderful as his life was added to it.

It was an over stressful afternoon (lots of exams, thesis) when suddenly your teacher taps your back and shows his concern not on his subject but to your life- your plans after graduation. Though I still have no clear plans yet and have rattled my tongue while talking with him but how enlightening and encouraging it was! I guess I was so surprised that it had me speechless.

It's nice to know that teachers like him still exist. If I had the chance to go back in time, i think I would tell him that I would like to be like him, not totally him but someone who is also able to touch the lives of his students not just through lectures, reports, quizzes and long exams but through his life.

Surely, i will forget the many stories and poems, I will not remember and recite all the quotes, but the values that I learned will forever remain. And that I chose to live a life that matters!

Thanks Sir Scott Magkachi-Saboy

scott saboy said...

Hi Jortan, thanks for dropping by. I know I gave you the nosebleed, but thanks for trying mighty hard to keep up with the pace although you had to dash here and there from time to time to make sure you'll march this April wearing the coveted Sablay. I wish you well in whatever plans you may have after college. See you on graduation day! :)