Search This Blog

Monday, July 20, 2009

Religious Addiction

Religious addiction entails using God, a religion, or a belief system as a means both to escape or avoid painful feelings and to seek self–esteem.  It involves adopting a rigid belief system that specifies one right way, which you feel you must force onto others by means of guilt, shame, fear, brain–washing, and elitism.  Thus religious addiction nearly always results in the abuse of someone else in the name of your beliefs.

Leo Booth, When God Becomes a Drug: Breaking the Chains of Religious Addiction & Abuse (New York: Jeremy P. Tarcher/Putnam, 1991), 2.

2 comments:

maria said...

Thats not true. that opinion is too rigid, in order to say a statement like that you have to have some proof, examples and narrow it down to an unbiased thesis. I know what you are trying to say but their are religious people who are passive in their beliefs, who don't force feed it to anyone. I would know because I'm religious & I do it for me. It's my lifestyle and that's it!

scott saboy said...

i agree that a lot of religious people have a balanced outlook in life and could not qualify as "religious addicts," but there are many others too who are exactly as what Booth -- a former hard drinker and religious bigot -- had characterized. I was a religious addict and I do know a lot of people in my former church who are stuck in that rut (as there are others in that church who are as great as any amiable bunch of fellows you may know of). thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)